Who is coming to your website?
More importantly, who do you want to come to your website?
Having a clear understanding on who your prospect and what their search-intent and context is FUNDAMENTAL to driving the kind of traffic that is meaningful towards your goals.
We like to call SEO “intent based search optimization” (IBSO). What “IBSO” is really about is defining what is the prospect searching for at each stage of their journey, and which asset on what channel will satisfy that search.
- Intent – What is the prospect searching for?
- Context – Why are they searching for it?
- Asset – What assets will satisfy their search?
- Channel – Where should their assets live?
- Optimization – How will the prospect find the asset
- Ascension – What is the next step in the customer journey?
To really have a sound platform to work off, you ideally would have well defined customer personas and a customer journey map.
Defining the intent and path of your audience will ensure web users will find your site, find what they want on your site, and (ideally) buy your product or service. It’s important to note that user paths and intent is an evolving concept and should be reviewed on a regular basis.
Risdall’s Guide to an Effective SEO Strategy will explain the main concepts everyone should understand about SEO and the essential components that should be in every SEO plan.